When people talk about mold, it is a hopeless mix of facts and misleading information. And the availability of this information on the internet has undoubtedly left many confused about mold. Some mold myths you may find online include:
Mold not only constitutes a cosmetic nuisance on your materials, but it can also trigger various conditions like asthma, runny nose, and respiratory problems. In addition, prolonged mold exposure, especially toxic mold, can worsen underlying health problems and respiratory disorders.
A slight runny nose is only among the least health complications from mold exposure. These conditions can occur after prolonged exposure to mold:
Mold exposure can result in severe respiratory complications that can hamper the proper functioning of various body parts by restricting oxygen flow in body cells. But no concrete study has proven any direct relationship between mold and cancer. Cancer occurs when abnormal cells grow and multiply uncontrollably in various body parts. This abnormal growth can be triggered by many factors, such as exposure to radiation, carcinogenic substances, and genetic factors, but not necessarily from mold exposure.
Black mold can trigger severe health conditions like irritation to the eyes, nose, and mucus membranes in the throat and nose. It can also trigger mycotoxicosis symptoms like chronic cough, fatigue, and headaches. However, black mold is not the only dangerous species of mold.
Over a dozen mold types can grow on different surfaces in the home. Exposure to each mold species can have adverse effects on human health, so mold should be eliminated with professional help as soon as you notice it.
This mold myth would have been true if the UV lamps designed for home use give off radiation strong enough to kill mold spores. But they don't, and turning on a UV lamp in your home will have little impact on mold growth.
Nothing can be farther from the truth. Mold isn't only present when you see visible growth on your furniture, walls, or upholstery items. Visible mold growth is only the final outcome of mold when it has roots in and starts feeding on these materials.
Mold is generally present in the atmosphere in various amounts as spores. When these spores land on damp organic materials (a food source), they start to multiply and grow in colonies as visible mold. This is when you can see or smell their presence - which means they are usually present before they're noticeable. But professional mold testing should reveal the presence of mold even before you see or smell a thing.
Depending on the species of mold you're dealing with, it takes anywhere from 24 to 48 hours for mold to start growing on a damp surface. This means the leak underneath your kitchen sink or in the attic can become a breeding ground for mold in less than a week! Hence, it is best to seek professional help with mold prevention as soon as you experience moisture problems on your premises.
This myth sounds true and logical to believe but is completely false. Mold, like every other fungus, can be dislodged from its area of infestation. However, the complete removal of mold can only be completed by professional mold removal experts like UCM Carpet Cleaning of Gaithersburg. This process involves the removal of visible mold growth, mold spores, and items affected or damaged by mold. Mold removal and remediation also involves filtering the air and reducing its humidity to prevent further mold growth.
Irrespective of what you may have heard about mold in the past, it is best to call mold professionals like UCM Carpet Cleaning of Gaithersburg immediately when you suspect the presence of mold in your home or business premises. As a matter of fact, the best time to seek professional help with mold is when you have conditions like a water leak, flooding, or moisture problems that foster mold growth. At UCM Carpet Cleaning of Gaithersburg, we offer premium mold testing, removal, and remediation services to keep your space free from the negative effects of mold growth.